- - - -
INDUSTRIES - - -
Shelby Electric Company
early inception of the Shelby
dates back to the early summer
J. C. Whiteside, superintendent of
the company casually mentioned to
discovery which Mr.
had made in the incandescent lamps and
claim made for the lamp by the discoverer. Mr. Fish became interested at once,
that if the lamp sustained the claims put forth in its behalf,
would prove one of the most remunerative investments in the country.
the indefatigable efforts of the above gentleman interest was
happy termination of a stock company with the plant completed
the manufacture of their wares.
institution was organized last August with a capital stock of
officered by the following well known gentlemen, whose success
in other lines
no comment W.W.
Technical Manager; J.C.
There are about fifty local stock-holders,
every dollars worth of stock being owned here, which is ample
the people of this community are enterprising and imbued with
the spirit which
brought our present magnificent civilization up to its present
with the best article that can be produced there are other necessary
must enter into the successful placing of goods in order to obtain
general sale integrity, push, enterprise and pluck. These
qualities alone will
victory from defeat and success from failure; but when the combination
that all these desirable adjuncts are happily brought together
the manufactured product and great managerial capacity
the onward growth
is simply irresistible. And such are the conditions surrounding
manufacture of the Shelby lamp was begun February 1st and since
started the capacity of the plant has been taxed to the utmost
to meet the
The fame of the lamp had preceded its manufacture and intending
were anxious to test the efficiency of the lamp and the claims
in its behalf by the managers of the institution.
factory building has been fitted throughout with the latest appliances
a high grade lamp. In fact the factory has many special machines
especially for them which very largely aid them in turning out
lamp as is possible to produce. The technical part of the work
is in the hands
Prof. A. A. Chaillet, the inventor of the
lamp which bespeaks for the future
the institution a reputation second to none in the character
of the wares and
utility. They have one of the finest and most modern laboratories
research in the country.
claims for the new lamp are such that no one who is at all conversant
lighting will fail to grasp the full import of what the system
only to the individual user, but to those who have embarked their
money in this
It is claimed and proven by practical experiment that the new
20 per cent greater efficiency with a life 30 per cent longer
than the lamps now
vogue. This means that electric lighting companies throughout
the world will save
half their present outlay for lamps while to the consumer
it means a third longer
without extra cost to either the consumer or the lighting plant.
practical standpoint the saving is a large one principally to
the lighting plant whose
are decreased while the revenue is not affected in the least.
tests were made of the Shelby lamp in conjunction with other
lamps selected to be tested with the home lamp were the best
made and the
were truly astonishing.
first test was to demonstrate the efficiency of the Shelby lamp
others, to do this, lamps of various makes were operated at the
same time to
the difference in brilliancy when burning at their normal voltage
The Shelby lamp was easily distinguished as the most efficient
by every one
Not satisfied with this test, several lamps of different makes
were tested in
same manner, in order to select the most efficient lamp to compare
most brilliant lamp of other makes having been determined it
was selected for
with the Shelby lamp. The result of the conclusion of this test
with great interest by all present and much to the satisfaction
The new Shelby lamp and its competitors were burned at a gradually
voltage constituting what is known as a forced life test. The
favor of the Shelby lamp was so apparent that no doubt was left
in the minds
the most skeptical that the claims made by Prof. Chaillet for his new filament
not only true, but could be considered modest in the extreme.
claims of Prof. Chaillet might be verified
regarding the life of his
at its increased efficiency.
The Republican Industrial Edition - 1897
LAMP INDUSTRY HERE
Company Flourished for Years Until G.E. Moved It Away.
industry that glowed brilliantly here for a number of years
the Shelby Electric Company. The plant had other names before
finally was closed by the General Electric Company and merged
holdings in Cleveland. The plant was located in the building
by the Shelby Cycle Company on High School Avenue.
the Daily Globe published Aug. 29, 1902, one reads that after
annual meeting of stockholders the following officers were
W.W. Skiles, president; G.M. Skiles, vice president;
J.C. Fish, secretary and general
company had met with success the past five years
continued and was then in position to turn out 10,000 finished
per day. It was pointed out with pride in that year of 1902 that
local concern is not in the electrical trust and stands
as the most
competitor of that combination.
Hildebrant, Henry Wentz, Edwin Mansfield, Jonas Feigner,
J.C. Wormley were also among the
that same year an article appeared in the Electrical Review that
the locally-manufactured lamp, patented by Adolphe A. Chaillet,
Frenchman living in Shelby, that threw off twice as much
by 1907, local ownership apparently had slipped because in that
Mr. Fish announced the National Electric Company with
interest planned to expand the plant with the result an
125 employees, mostly girls, would be needed. The payroll
$2,800 every two weeks and would be in excess of $4,000 if the
went through. The If centered around whether Shelby
sufficient housing for such an increase.
president of National Lamp Company, later in the year
Shelby that the entire expansion program for the companys
would be centered here if labor would be available. There
started a great promotion for construction of more houses,
need that cropped up periodically through the years.
Daily Globe wrote What we need is a real estate company
the capacity of laying out an addition of 100 lots and of building
them at once. Every businessman in the town should be interested
1908 one reads that a fine feature of industrial progress was
of a restroom and the granting of a 15-minute recess
forenoon and afternoon to employees.
Shelby plant became the nucleus of a vast combination of all
lamp companies in the United States, which was called the
Electric Lamp Association, N.E.L.A. division of the General
Company of which immediately upon its formation Mr. Fish was
first president, with headquarters in Shelby.
the amalgamation of the companies, every outside unit was
to Cleveland where one colossal plant houses them all. Mr. Fish
before that was accomplished, however, even as he was in the
pioneering in the tremendous new industry which is known as the
in Cleveland today.
the death of Mr. Fish in 1909, directors met and elected
sales manager; T.J.
March 19, 1912 one reads that the General Electric Company
over the Shelby Electric Company. The factory in years previous
operated under the name of Richland Mazda Lamp Company but
sales department, managed by W.W.
had operated as the
Electric Company, which after March of 1912 was to be called
Shelby Lamp Works.
General Electric moved the manufacturing end of the old
away in 1915, the sales division continued to exist for many
on Mohican Street, with Mr. VanHorn, C.C. Skiles and
among the managers.
contributed by Ruby Bonecutter
- Additional information about the Shelby
Electric Company and their products.
of the Shelby Museum)
- If you would be
interested in adding to, or commenting on the items on this page,
- please contact
© 2000, 2018